When you have a name like Cathy Miller, you are always looking to be unique. I hope I succeed.
I thought I would have little chance of getting my name for a domain. And I was right. So, that’s how the domain became millercathy.com. Frankly, I was surprised I was able to get that. Sometimes I do have a tendency to do things backwards, so maybe the domain name is cosmic.
Why A Baby Boomer’s Second Life?
I spent over 30 years in Corporate America. In 2008, at the height of one of the worst financial times in the U.S., I decided to start my own business as a freelance business writer. Perhaps not my most strategic move, but one I have never regretted.
The first word that popped into my mind was — Freedom. That was the inspiration for the image of the goldfish leaping from the fish bowl – leaping to a second life.
It has been an interesting journey, and one I hope you’ll share with me.
Who is Cathy Miller?
I am a middle child of seven, so family is an important part of my life.
As a middle child of seven, I was the first born under insurance. I have often said I was “doomed from the womb” to be in insurance. I worked for insurance companies, brokerage and consulting firms and was even a dental hygienist for a while.
When I started my business, I decided to get my feet wet in blogging with my personal blog, millercathy.com.
I moved this blog to WordPress and decided to breathe some life into it. I found I wanted a vehicle where I could blog about whatever interests me.
As a sole proprietor of a business, it is difficult to separate the personal from the business side. So, you’ll see announcements or posts that touch on my business. Here is my plan —
- Simply stated business - shows how to keep business writing simple, clear & unique- the site contains my business information, business-related downloads and posts
- Simply stated health care - has posts on a variety of health care topics, again designed to keep it simple
- millercathy.com - this blog has more of the personal side, with a dash of business, and offers some of my creative writing
About This Blog
I moved the posts from the old blog site and created the following categories:
- 3-Day Walk for Breast Cancer - I got involved in this great cause after my sister, Terry, developed breast cancer. I have been participating as a walker in the Susan G. Komen 3-Day, 60 Mile Walk for Breast Cancer since 2003. I am happy to report my sister is doing great. This event is a passion of mine for so many reasons. Here you find posts about my experience.
- Creative Writing - Do you know a writer who doesn’t want to write the next great novel? These posts provide me with an opportunity for some non-business writing. Hopefully, the next great novel won’t be too far behind.
- Meet Idaho – Many people don’t know about Idaho. They think it’s “back east,” or confuse it with Iowa. These posts will share facts and stories about Idaho.
- Miller Musings - These posts capture the personal (and the sometimes strange) musings on my life. Here you’ll find a kaleidoscope of topics. But, isn’t that life? The category is broken down into Musings on business and everyday life.
- News - Check here for news and announcements on what’s happening on the business and personal side. I promise not to bombard you with events.
Thank you for coming along for the ride. I hope you share your views, your experiences and have a really good time.